Learn about one of the world's most powerful Superfoods - Wheatgrass.
Wheatgrass is so potently abundant with rich nutrients, vitamins and enzymes that just 30ml of freshly squeezed organic wheatgrass juice (1 shot) is equivalent in to nutritional value of around 1kg of leafy green vegetables!
Wheatgrass has the ability to provide the human body with 98 of 102 elements including calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, zinc, phosphorus but also many amino acids, vitamins and minerals. More than that, wheatgrass is 70% chlorophyll, which provides more energy than any other element. Produce which contains chlorophyll builds red blood cells, aids bloodstream function and improves blood sugar problems. It delivers high levels of oxygen to the brain and makes body tissue function at optimal levels. Nutrient-fuelled chlorophyll is absorbed by the body tissue, refining, rebuilding and rejuvenating them.
More benefits of wheatgrass include:
- Increases red blood cell count and lowers blood pressure
- Cleanses the blood, organs and digestive system
- Increases metabolism
- Stimulates the thyroid gland which can combat obesity, indigestion and other associated diseases
- Stimulates enzyme activity
- Helps to alkaline the blood, reducing over-acidity in the blood
- Acts as a powerful detoxifier
- Protects the liver and blood
- The enzymes and amino acids found in wheatgrass can protect us from carcinogens
When wheatgrass is juiced, using juicers like the Oscar Neo DA 1000, nutrients enter the body, cleanse organs and provide essential vitamins and minerals which our bodies need to operate. Common centrifugal juicers are not able to juice wheatgrass due to the high speed extraction method. Cold press juicers, utilising a gentle squeezing method extract maximum amounts of juice from grasses and keep all its nutrients still intact. This means your body can enjoy the benefits of wheatgrass straight away and in the most pure form. The absolute BEST juicer for wheatgrass though is the BioChef Gemini Twin Gear Triturating Juicer.
There are many ways users can ingest wheatgrass. Blenders, like the advanced BioChef High Performance Blender can be used to blend the grass with with fruits or vegetables and make superfood smoothies. Whether it's by extraction or my blending wheatgrass, both ways ensure that you get maximum benefits with minimum effort and a daily intake of energy.
Wheatgrass has always been known for it's ability to clean heavy metals from the body. This can be of great assistance if you have had amalgam fillings removed. The cleansing and purifying attributes contribute to boosting the body's immune system.
It has been researched by the American Cancer Society that wheatgrass can help to cure bronchitis, fever, infection, and skin and digestive disorders.
Wheatgrass is also a great natural alkalizer, it cleanses acids from the body and can even balance our natural PH levels. This is one of the main reasons why drinking wheatgrass juice can assist minimising illnesses.
Frequently Asked Questions about Wheatgrass
Isn't wheat acidifying for the body?
Fully grown, harvested, processed, milled and stored wheat is, yes. However, just like with most grains, when sprouted it is very alkaliine.
Does Wheatgrass contain Gluten?
No, wheatgrass does not contain gluten. In fact, wheatgrass is a suitable food type for those with a gluten intolerance. Although wheat grain contains gluten, wheatgrass is not a grain, it is a green vegetable and as such contains no gluten.
How much Wheatgrass juice can you drink per day?
It is recommended by Ann Wigmore that you start drinking about 30ml of wheatgrass juice per day. After a few weeks you can increase the level of wheatgrass juice to 60ml. Over the next few months you can build up to 120ml of wheatgrass juice a day.
Is Wheatgrass hard work?
It could be, however half the fun and enjoyment is growing your own (the typical scenario, setting up and sowing the seeds 5-10 minutes, daily watering around 1-2 minutes).
How do I avoid mould when growing Wheatgrass?
Mould is the most common problem when growing wheatgrass (in fact it is often the only problem). It can be identified as white blobs forming (normally around the base of the wheatgrass stalks) when it is alive and black spots when it is dead. The following are all suggestions for preventing mould formation on your home grown wheatgrass.
- Do not soak your wheatgrass seeds for longer than 8 hours
- After soaking, plant the seeds as soon as you have drained them
- Try and keep your growing micro-climate from becoming too hot or too humid, a temperature around 30 degrees celsius is recommended
Is mould formation on wheatgrass of any significance?
Mould formation on wheatgrass can be of great significance. Some people are allergic to mould and it is also bad news for people who suffer from asthma. An intake of mould can result in instant body reactions such as headaches, nausea and even body hives.
Therefore it's important to at least cut well above any mould that has formed when harvesting your wheatgrass. Also, empty and sterilise your trays after harvesting to discourage any related mould growth.
Can I use non organic soil and seeds?
We really recommend using both organic sources as the nutrients from the soil will of course go into the wheatgrass.
Can I repeatedly trim and grow the same tray of Wheatgrass?
Although it is possible to regrow your wheatgrass after its first cutting and then re-harvest the same batch, it is not a recommended practice as the second harvest will not contain nearly as many nutrients as the first. This is because a great deal of the nutritional value in wheatgrass comes from the seed as it sprouts which occurs in the first harvest. As well as the loss of nutritional content, re-growing the wheatgrass increases the chance / growth of mould.
OUR FAVOURITE WHEATGRASS JUICERS & BLENDERS
- Produces a higher ratio of living enzymes than centrifugal, single gear and masticating juicers
- Twin gears incorporate magnetic and bio-ceramic technology
- Triturating technology which produces the driest pulp among all other types of juicers
- Produces the highest yield of fresh, pulp free juice
- Produces a 'living juice' that lasts longer
- Doubles as a food processor - a complete 'living food' kitchen!
- 20 year warranty on motor and 5 years on parts
- Best Selling Oscar Juicer
- 3 Step Auger Crushing System
- BPA Free 'Ultem Tough' parts
- Pulp Adjustment Nozzle
- Smooth, Pulp-Free Juicing
- Best Leafy Greens and Wheatgrass Juicer
- 20 year warranty on motor and 10 years on parts
- New 'Wide Mouth' Style
- Latest Model BioChef Axis Cold Press Juicer
- Offering Excellent Value & Quality
- Excels at Juicing Wheatgrass & Leafy Greens
- Food Processor Functions - make pasta, dips, sorbet & more
- Pulp Ejection Nozzle - Extract MORE
- Ultem & Tritan BPA-Free Parts
- 20 Year Warranty on Motor / 10 Years on Parts